MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - Samantha Rands called home to ask her boyfriend a question about the birth certificate for their newborn twin daughters, Aaliah and Arianna. But what she heard on the line was almost more than she could process.
A suspected natural gas explosion destroyed a vacant rental home in the 1600 block of Elwood Street. Samantha Rands lived in a neighboring house.
She says the explosion sent a section of the roof completely over her home. The force of the blast separated her walls from the ceiling, exposing the family to dust and possibly asbestos in the insulation.
Authorities say it's a miracle no one was hurt.
"It just pushed my walls in and then sucked them back out, making the house unlivable. I just had to find a place to live last night and we stayed in a hotel, and we'll stay in a hotel again tonight too until we can find somewhere more permanent," says Rands.