Salmonella sickens 15 in Muskegon & Ottawa Co. | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -- The Muskegon County Health Department is investigating a salmonella outbreak that has sickened 15 people.
14 of the victims are Muskegon County residents and one lives in Ottawa County. Public health staff is interviewing the victims to determine the outbreak source.
Salmonella is typically a food-borne illness acquired from contaminated raw poultry, eggs, and unpasteurized milk and cheese products.
Health officials says thorough cooking kills Salmonella, however food may become contaminated by someone who does not use soap and water after using the bathroom.
Salmonella may also be found in the feces of some pets, especially those with diarrhea, and people can become infected if they do not wash their hands after contact with pets or pet feces. Reptiles, such as turtles, lizards, and snakes, are particularly likely to harbor salmonella.
Most persons infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most people recover without treatment.
To reduce your chance of salmonella infection:
· Cook poultry, ground beef, and eggs thoroughly. Do not eat or drink foods containing raw eggs, or raw (unpasteurized) milk.
· Wash hands, kitchen work surfaces, and utensils with soap and water immediately after they have been in contact with raw meat or poultry.
· Wash hands with soap after handling reptiles, birds, or baby chicks, and after contact with pet feces.
More information and prevention tips about salmonella can be found at www.cdc.gov/salmonella.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Grand Haven: Fire Barn Gallery exhibit opening April 17
- Methodist church in Grand Haven invites public to Holy Week services
- Coast Guard officer accused of assault
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.
- My Town: Congressman Huizenga to speak at Legislative Lunch