Space heater may have caused home explosion | News
MUSKEGON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP/WZZM) -- Authorities say a house explosion in Muskegon County was likely caused by a natural gas space heater.
The blast about 4 a.m. Monday leveled the one-story home on Woodward Street in Muskegon Township, injuring a 44-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman. Officials say both suffered burns and the man was taken by helicopter to Grand Rapids hospitals.
Timothy Beattie was in critical condition Monday afternoon and Bridgett Polk was in serious condition.
Muskegon Township Fire Chief David Glotzbach says the homeowners had taken out a permit in February for installation of the heater, but the final inspection had not yet taken place.
Investigators tell WZZM Polk woke up and heard a hissing noise. She tried to shut off the gas valve, but it didn't stop the hissing, so she unplugged the unit. Glotzbach thinks that pulling the cord out of the wall socket may have caused a spark that caused the gas that had collected in the small room to explode.
Neighbor Terry Luce says the explosion shook his house and knocked him out of bed. Neighbors helped the injured Beattie and Polk before rescuers arrived.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- Sparta Town & Country Days underway
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list