Man gets gas bill for wrong house | News
NORTON SHORES, Mich. (WZZM) - On Sunday morning, Ricky Williams realized DTE Energy had turned off gas service to his home on Crestwood Lane in Norton Shores.
On Monday, he called to ask the company why the gas was turned off and realized it had to do with a $1,764.41 "transferred balance" from a home in Muskegon.
Williams says he has no idea why the large outstanding charge connected to 862 Turner Avenue is on his bill.
WZZM 13 On Your Side found the home's owner by searching tax records at Muskegon City Hall. When contacted, the Twin Lake man who owns the Turner Avenue house, Dale Grasmeyer, said he has no idea why the charge went to the Williams family either.
Grassmeyer is selling the home on a land contract. The woman who lives at the house has been there for two years. She said her bills are current and couldn't explain the billing issue either.
A spokesperson for DTE Energy looked into both accounts at the request of WZZM. It took 20 minutes to see the charge was a mistake. It's been removed from the Ricky Williams' bill. And, according to DTE, the problem was caused by a numerical error connected to a drivers license.
Williams was relieved to know he doesn't have to pay the bill. DTE scheduled a service call to restore gas to the Norton Shores home Wednesday afternoon.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: ChoiceOne Bank celebrates second quarter growth
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- My Town: Community tapped to determine future of White Lake
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list