Lumberjacks Fan Appreciation Night scheduled for Saturday | News
Following a difficult three-game road trip, the Muskegon Lumberjacks get an immediate chance at redemption.
After dropping games in Dubuque, Waterloo and Green Bay last weekend, the Lumberjacks (17-32-7, 41 points) take on two of those three playoff teams this week in a back-to-back situation.
The Jacks travel to Green Bay for the fourth and final time Friday when they wrap up their eight-game season series with the juggernaut Gamblers at 8:05 p.m. Eastern. Green Bay (45-8-3, 93 points) tied a franchise record for wins when it topped Muskegon 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Resch Center. The Anderson Cup winners and Clark Cup favorites are four points short of the all-time USHL record set by the 1998-99 Des Moines Buccaneers.
But despite the Gamblers’ credentials and six wins against the Lumberjacks this season, Muskegon has gone 1-1-1 it its last three meetings with Green Bay, including a 4-3 triumph Mar. 24 at L.C. Walker Arena. The Jacks also rallied from two goals down Feb. 26 to earn a point in an eventual shootout loss at the Resch Center.
The Lumberjacks return home Saturday to thank their loyal supporters on Fan Appreciation Night. Tickets for the final game of the season at L.C. Walker Arena are available for only $10 apiece and there will be giveaways all night long! Call (231) 724-JACK or stop by the arena box office to see the 2011-12 Jacks in action for the last time.
Defending Clark Cup champion Dubuque is the opponent Saturday night at 7:15, and Muskegon will be seeking revenge for last Friday’s tight 5-3 loss to the Fighting Saints. Dubuque (33-19-4, 70 points) also beat the Jacks in the L.C. Walker Arena opener this season and has gone 4-0-0 against their 2010-11 expansion brethren.
The Meijer Pregame Show begins 30 minutes prior to every opening faceoff on the radio home of your Lumberjacks, 92.5 The Outlaw (925fmtheoutlaw.com). Voice of the Jacks Matt Gajtka has the play-by-play.
The Lumberjacks have reduced the price of season ticket plans for the 2012-13 campaign to just $200! That’s an average of only $6.25 for each of next season’s 32 home contests, but the offer only lasts until June 16. Contact the Jacks ticket office for more information.
UPCOMING GAMES (Home games in bold; all times Eastern)
- Friday @ GREEN BAY at 8:05 p.m.
- Saturday vs. DUBUQUE at 7:15 p.m. – Fan Appreciation Night / The Lumberjacks thank you for your support this season! Enjoy $10 tickets and giveaways all night long
- Friday, April 13 @ CEDAR RAPIDS at 8:05 p.m.
- Saturday, April 14 @ DUBUQUE at 8:05 p.m.
- Dakota Klecha may have gotten a boost from seeing his college of choice, Ferris State, qualify for its first NCAA Frozen Four, because the 20-year-old winger from Taylor, Mich., provided a pair of highlights last weekend to continue his late-season offensive burst. His goals against Dubuque and Waterloo gave him 17 on the season and 14 points (seven goals) in his last 20 games. Klecha’s 26 points tie him with Tyler Heinonen (Michigan Tech) for fifth on the team’s scoring list; his 10 power play points put him behind only Ryan Bullock (Dartmouth), who has 15.
- With the Jacks in a stretch of six road games in its last seven, they would be wise to take advantage of their last experience on home ice this Saturday. The Black and Vegas Gold have posted 12 of their 17 wins in the Port City and have earned at least a standings point in 14 of their 29 outings at L.C. Walker Arena this season. Muskegon is 25-30-5 at home in two seasons in the USHL, as compared to 16-19-10 as the visitor.
- Muskegon appeared to be a lock to have the league’s most penalty minutes this season, but the team has been much more disciplined under Head Coach Jim McKenzie, who took over Jan. 15. As a result, Lincoln has skated ahead of the Jacks in both total penalty minutes (1367 to 1334) and PIM per game (24.4 to 23.8). The Stars accumulated 101 penalty minutes in a rivalry clash with Omaha last Saturday.
BEST HOCKEY TALK ON THE LAKESHORE
JackSixty presented by Cinema Carousel is a weekly hour-long talk show devoted to your Muskegon Lumberjacks Tuesday nights from 6-7 p.m. at Hennessy’s Irish Pub & Restaurant. Located at the corner of Jefferson and Clay Streets in the heart of Muskegon, Hennessy’s plays host as Gajtka and co-host Antonio Bartoli talk hockey with Lumberjacks coaches, players and other featured guests on 98.3 FM WLCS!
THE SOCIAL NETWORKS
Never go hungry for Jacks news: “Like” the Muskegon Lumberjacks on Facebook and follow “@MuskegonJacks” on Twitter to stay plugged into the Jacks 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Also, find the Jacks’ exclusive YouTube channel at youtube.com/MuskegonJacks!
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Haven Area Public Schools Athletic Director Dies of Cancer
- Get Fit: Grand Haven Fit Body Boot Camp
- My Town: GVSU string chamber quartet to perform at LDL April 13
- SCORE business series continues at LDL with workshop on starting a nonprofit organization
- My Town: Ottawa County millage renewal up for discussion
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.
- My Town: Congressman Huizenga to speak at Legislative Lunch
- My Town: West Michigan Water Trail community input meeting April 2
- My Town Whitehall: Library offers 'Spring Break Boredom Busters' April 7-12