Lumberjacks Blog - Getting to Know Conor Garland | News
This is the first of a series of posts designed to help Lumberjacks fans get acquainted with the newest members of the Muskegon hockey family. Today's subject is Futures Draft pick Conor Garland.
Playing against much older competition should never be easy for a teenager, but Conor Garland made it look elementary this year when he poured in 94 points, including 42 goals, in his first season of junior hockey with the Boston Jr. Bruins.
"I went into the season knowing that this was when the 'real hockey' starts," said Garland via phone from his hometown of Scituate, Mass., which is about 30 miles southeast of Boston. "I expected to have a good season even though it was my first year at that level."
The 5-foot-6 Garland tore up the Tier III Empire Junior Hockey League, displaying a comfort around the net traditionally displayed by more sizable players. Lumberjacks Assistant Coach Steve Palmer raved about Garland's finishing touch on Tuesday night, when Muskegon chose him in the third round of the USHL Futures Draft.
"I've always worked on [my finishing ability] since I was younger," said Garland, who skated with and against players up to five years...
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- Sparta Town & Country Days underway
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list