Lumberjacks Blog - Getting to Know Conor Garland | News
This is the first of a series of posts designed to help Lumberjacks fans get acquainted with the newest members of the Muskegon hockey family. Today's subject is Futures Draft pick Conor Garland.
Playing against much older competition should never be easy for a teenager, but Conor Garland made it look elementary this year when he poured in 94 points, including 42 goals, in his first season of junior hockey with the Boston Jr. Bruins.
"I went into the season knowing that this was when the 'real hockey' starts," said Garland via phone from his hometown of Scituate, Mass., which is about 30 miles southeast of Boston. "I expected to have a good season even though it was my first year at that level."
The 5-foot-6 Garland tore up the Tier III Empire Junior Hockey League, displaying a comfort around the net traditionally displayed by more sizable players. Lumberjacks Assistant Coach Steve Palmer raved about Garland's finishing touch on Tuesday night, when Muskegon chose him in the third round of the USHL Futures Draft.
"I've always worked on [my finishing ability] since I was younger," said Garland, who skated with and against players up to five years...
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Whitehall: Making The Case For Mobile Workshop April 23
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.