Muskegon Co. approves wind farm lease | News
MUSKEGON COUNTY, Mich. (WZZM)- A wind farm project in Muskegon County is getting the green light. Thursday County Commissioners approved a three year lease with Gamesa Energy to build a wind farm at the county's wastewater site.
Muskegon Wind LLC would sit on 11,000 acres of county land. If all goes well, the wind farm could be up and running in about two and a half years.
Bill Smeaton, the project manager with Gamesa Energy said, "That would be our goal. I'll say end of 2014. And that could change. It probably isn't going to get any sooner, could get a little later. It really depends on what we discover as we study the site."
Gamesa Energy must finish at least one more year of research. The company's lease will generate about $50,000 a year for the county and significantly more if the farm is built.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Loutit District Library announce Labor Day and winter hours
- Grand Haven rallies past Fruitport
- My Town: AgeWell of Muskegon and Loutit District Library team up for senior fitness program
- My Town Grand Haven: LDL to host free showing of Frank Lloyd Wright documentary Aug. 28
- Two hospitalized after Ottawa Co. crash