Second local rider dies after Wisconsin crash | News
FOND DU LAC, Wisc. - A second member of a West Michigan motorcycle club is now dead because of a crash last week in Wisconsin.
Muskegon Motorcycle Gang member Doug Yonkers, 43, died Thursday morning.
"A lot of people had a feeling he wasn't going to make it," says Muskegon Motorcycle Gang member Roger Johnson. "It's tough to take, man."
MMG member Dan Winsemius, 59, died at the scene last Thursday when a car plowed into a dozen MMG riders about 60 miles from Milwaukee.
"You know, you wake up in the morning and you're like, 'Yay they made it one more night," says 46 Posse Motorcycle Club member Deb Edward. "Then you get the call. What do you do?"
The driver, 25-year-old Clinton Lovelace is charged with reckless homicide, reckless injury, and reckless endangerment.
Police say he swerved across the highway center line and plowed into the formation of motorcycles. All but two of the 12 riders from West Michigan were injured in the crash. Eric Vandam, 52, and Douglas Williams, 58, are still in intensive care.
"[The group is] going to take a long time to recover," says Victor Olivieri, a friend of the riders. "Not just physically, but emotionally, because of what's happened and what they went through."
"[We] just keep praying," says Edward. "That's all we can do; just keep praying."
Lovelace already has a criminal history involving drugs, theft, burglary and driving on a suspended license. After the crash, a deputy says he found two unused syringes and bits of paper that could contain drops of LSD in the suspect's pockets. The driver was tested for alcohol and drugs, but lab results are not yet available.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Sparta: Downtown Development Authority Office upgrades approved
- My Town Sparta: Village to hire additional DPW employees
- My Town Sparta: Council backs altering village boundaries
- My Town Sparta: Homeowners begin cleaning up after storm
- My Town Sparta: Celebrate Earth Day by helping Howard Christensen Nature Center