18 year-old drowns in Duck Lake | News
WHITEHALL, Mich. (WZZM) -- Dive teams were called to Duck Lake Park Sunday afternoon on the report of an 18 year-old man disappearing in Duck Lake Channel.
The victim has been identified as Iisaiah Townsel of Montague.
Shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday, rescue teams from several area departments arrived on-scene. At one point, the teams formed a human chain.
The teenager's body was found about an hour after he disappeared.
According to Muskegon Sheriff Dean Roesler says Duck Lake is more dangerous that it appears.
"I don't think people realize that Duck Lake itself is a very deep lake and there are very, very deep spots along the channel and the distance from the south side to the north side a little deceiving a little longer swim that what I think people realize."
Police say that he was with a group of friends.
This incident has occured just over a week after another teenager, 18 year-old Justin Pitz, drowned in the same lake.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Whitehall: Making The Case For Mobile Workshop April 23
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.