18 year-old drowns in Duck Lake | News
WHITEHALL, Mich. (WZZM) -- Dive teams were called to Duck Lake Park Sunday afternoon on the report of an 18 year-old man disappearing in Duck Lake Channel.
The victim has been identified as Iisaiah Townsel of Montague.
Shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday, rescue teams from several area departments arrived on-scene. At one point, the teams formed a human chain.
The teenager's body was found about an hour after he disappeared.
According to Muskegon Sheriff Dean Roesler says Duck Lake is more dangerous that it appears.
"I don't think people realize that Duck Lake itself is a very deep lake and there are very, very deep spots along the channel and the distance from the south side to the north side a little deceiving a little longer swim that what I think people realize."
Police say that he was with a group of friends.
This incident has occured just over a week after another teenager, 18 year-old Justin Pitz, drowned in the same lake.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- College Scholarship Opportunities for Local Students
- My Town Montague: Birdhouse entries sought for gallery contest
- My Town: Baker College students heading to national competition
- My Town Whitehall: Safety and technology millage narrowly approved
- My Town Whitehall: City honors outgoing administrative assistant