Man rescued after driving into Muskegon Lake | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - Two off-duty Muskegon County Sheriff deputies and the manager of a towing company are credited with rescuing a man who accidentally drove his van into Muskegon Lake Monday evening.
The three men were meeting at Fricano's Pizza in Muskegon to plan this years polar plunge on Muskegon Lake when they saw the white van go over the sea wall behind the restaurant. The front of the van landed in Muskegon Lake. The three quickly ran out of the building and rushed to help the driver.
The driver, a man in his 60's, said he recently had surgery on his right leg and somehow he hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. He was not injured, but he was getting cold in the water which had reached his chest.
The three men helped him climb out of the van.
A tow truck was needed to pull the van out. Then the three men, one of which is the head of the sheriff's Marine Division, returned to their meeting.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list