Man rescued after driving into Muskegon Lake | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - Two off-duty Muskegon County Sheriff deputies and the manager of a towing company are credited with rescuing a man who accidentally drove his van into Muskegon Lake Monday evening.
The three men were meeting at Fricano's Pizza in Muskegon to plan this years polar plunge on Muskegon Lake when they saw the white van go over the sea wall behind the restaurant. The front of the van landed in Muskegon Lake. The three quickly ran out of the building and rushed to help the driver.
The driver, a man in his 60's, said he recently had surgery on his right leg and somehow he hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. He was not injured, but he was getting cold in the water which had reached his chest.
The three men helped him climb out of the van.
A tow truck was needed to pull the van out. Then the three men, one of which is the head of the sheriff's Marine Division, returned to their meeting.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Whitehall: Making The Case For Mobile Workshop April 23
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.