UPDATE: Police officer and suspect shot overnight in Muskegon | News
MUSKEGON COUNTY, Mich. (WZZM)- A Muskegon police officer was shot during a gunfight early Saturday morning.
It happened shortly before 3:30 a.m. in the 4700 block of Oak Rd. in Muskegon County.
According to police, a call came in to help the Muskegon County Sheriff's Department with an armed suspect in that neighborhood. When police arrived, sheriffs deputies asked for their help in securing the area.
While at the scene, some officers were confronted by the suspect and a gunfight followed. A Muskegon police officer and the suspect were both hit.
Both are at local hospitals and are being treated for their injuries. The suspect is in custody.
Muskegon County Sheriff Dean Roesler tells us the officer is doing well and already talking about getting back to work.
The Michigan State Police are now investigating.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: ChoiceOne Bank celebrates second quarter growth
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- My Town: Community tapped to determine future of White Lake
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list