Emergency phones installed after summer drownings | News
MUSKEGON COUNTY, Mich. (WZZM) - The drowning deaths of two teens at Duck Lake this past summer has led to safety changes at the state park.
The drownings happened in separate incidents were the boys tried to swim across the Duck Lake channel with friends.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources has paid to install two emergency phones at the beach. The phones are waterproof and dial directly to 9-1-1. Cell phone service at the park is sparse.
The phones are not yet active, but will be by summer.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Montague: Summer Concert Series returns with Hank Mowery