39th annual Yukon Run in memory of founder | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -- While many of us talk about New Year's resolutions runners in Muskegon put theirs into action. At Muskegon State Park many laced up for the 4th annual Sgt. Preston Yukon Run.
But for one group the race took on a different meaning. Mary Austin Luther and her family came to remember their brother Hank Austin and his wife who were killed in an accident in August.
They say Hank was the founder of the race and would have been running with his wife. This year, people wore shirts and ran in honor of the couple.
Mary Austin Luther says, "I'm proud. He'd be running today with his wife if he could. It makes me proud that these people think enough of him to dedicate this race to him.
All the money raised during the race goes to North Muskegon High School's Athletic Booster Club.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Grand Haven: Fire Barn Gallery exhibit opening April 17
- Methodist church in Grand Haven invites public to Holy Week services
- Coast Guard officer accused of assault
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.
- My Town: Congressman Huizenga to speak at Legislative Lunch