39th annual Yukon Run in memory of founder | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -- While many of us talk about New Year's resolutions runners in Muskegon put theirs into action. At Muskegon State Park many laced up for the 4th annual Sgt. Preston Yukon Run.
But for one group the race took on a different meaning. Mary Austin Luther and her family came to remember their brother Hank Austin and his wife who were killed in an accident in August.
They say Hank was the founder of the race and would have been running with his wife. This year, people wore shirts and ran in honor of the couple.
Mary Austin Luther says, "I'm proud. He'd be running today with his wife if he could. It makes me proud that these people think enough of him to dedicate this race to him.
All the money raised during the race goes to North Muskegon High School's Athletic Booster Club.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- Sparta Town & Country Days underway
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list