Where are abortion clinics in West Michigan? | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - A Muskegon clinic that offered abortions is closed and is not expected to reopen. Its closure leaves women who are seeking an abortion, with limited options.
The Women's Medical Services on Apple Avenue closed December 26 following the report of a break-in at the facility. Police and eventually Muskegon's fire marshal accused the facility's operator of violating multiple city building codes. Even though the center performed abortions, it was not accredited with the National Abortion Federation.
WZZM 13 News has learned many of the women in Muskegon County seeking abortion services were-- and still are-- referred to a Grand Rapids facility. The heritage clinic is accredited with the NAF.
There are 11 accredited abortion clinics in Michigan. On the west side of the state the list also includes one in Traverse City and one in Niles. The others are in Flint, Saginaw, and in and around the city of Detroit.
Some hospitals do perform abortions, but not in Muskegon County, because Hackley and Mercy are part of Trinity Health. Along with Saint Mary's Health, the three hospitals follow the Catholic Church's ethical and religious directives.
Spectrum Health does not perform elective abortions and neither do doctors associated with the hospital. Any medically necessary abortions would have to be approved by the hospitals' ethics committee.
Metro Health and doctors offices affiliated with the hospital will only perform abortions if there are medical problems threatening the mother's life.
The 40th anniversary of the landmark Roe vs. Wade decision January 22. That's the day in 1973 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled seven-to-two supporting a women's right to have an abortion.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Sparta: Downtown Development Authority Office upgrades approved
- My Town Sparta: Village to hire additional DPW employees
- My Town Sparta: Council backs altering village boundaries
- My Town Sparta: Homeowners begin cleaning up after storm
- My Town Sparta: Celebrate Earth Day by helping Howard Christensen Nature Center