Warmest year on record for Muskegon | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - The weather during the month of December was much warmer than usual and a little wetter than average, but the lack of snowfall was the biggest weather story of the month. The year 2012 ended up warmer and drier than usual with lower-than-average snowfall.
Temperatures during December averaged 35.8°F, 5.6°F above average, tying for the fifth warmest on record, but it was 0.5°F cooler than last year (36.3°F). Twenty-four days were warmer than usual, six were cooler, and one was considered average. The highest temperature occurred on December 3 with 66°F - the warmest December temperature on record, while the lowest temperature occurred on December 25 and 28 with 19°F. The year 2012 averaged 52.6°F, 4.0°F above average, making it the warmest year on record (previously 50.9°F in 1931 and 1998), and 3.2°F warmer than last year (49.7°F).
Precipitation was a little above average last month measuring 3.04", 0.49" more than usual and 0.71" more than last year (2.33"). There were sixteen days with measurable precipitation, which is exactly average (16). 2012 precipitation was below average with 31.59", 1.90" less than usual and 10.30" less than last year (41.89").
Snowfall totaled 7.4" for December, 21.5" less than usual but 5.6" more than last year (1.8"). Snowfall for the 2011-12 season was much lower than usual with 55.76", 41.1" below average and 49.0" less than the 2010-11 season (104.7").
No thunderstorms were recorded in December.
Daily temperature records: A high of 66°F on December 3 broke the previous record of 62°F set in 1951.
Daily precipitation records: 0.69" of rain on December 9 broke the previous record of 0.68" set in 1962.
1.33" of rain on December 20 broke the previous record of 0.87" set in 1949.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Self-defense training classes offered at United Methodist Church of the Dunes
- My Town Grand Haven: Date set for Chilly Blues Music Festival
- Hands-on Help with Health Insurance Marketplace
- My Town Grand Haven: Harbor dredging awarded additional funding
- Tools for Dealing with Grief and Loss at SLDL
- My Town: MAISD board begins search to replace retiring superintendent
- College Scholarship Opportunities for Local Students
- My Town Montague: Birdhouse entries sought for gallery contest
- My Town: Baker College students heading to national competition
- My Town Whitehall: Safety and technology millage narrowly approved