Learn to ice skate on a treadmill | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - When you think of ways to get fit at the gym an elliptical, treadmill, or bike may come to mind, but have you ever heard of an ice treadmill? There are only a few in West Michigan and if you want to use it, you will need to put on your ice skates.
One of the ice treadmills, also known as a hockey treadmill, is located at the Mercy Athletic Performance Center in Muskegon. It is designed to help ice skaters get stronger, faster, and perfect their form.
Mark Vilneff, a former Muskegon Fury hockey player, is the performance trainer that uses the machine to help hockey players get better.
"The hockey treadmill goes up to 20 miles per hour and it inclines 35 degrees," say Vilneff. "It makes you work twice as hard as if you were on ice. I wish I had this when I was playing."
The treadmill is made up of synthetic ice, and a harness is worn so when you skate and fall you don't go flying under the machine. It takes a little getting use to, but most people quickly get the hang of it. You can skate on it just like an ice rink, but unlike an ice rink you can skate on an incline for an extra workout.
To improve your overall agility, strength, and endurance Vilneff coaches you on proper technique while you skate. After four or five sessions Vilneff sees great improvement in the skaters that come in.
If you interested in learning more about the ice treadmill you can visit the Mercy Performance Center Website.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Area state parks awarded life-saving beach kits
- My Town: Library summer reading clubs present kids’ wildlife programs July 22
- 2 Motorcyclists crash on Grand Haven Drawbridge
- My Town Grand Haven: School board candidate deadline nears
- My Town Grand Haven: Barbecue feast added to St. Patrick and St. Anthony Parish Festival Aug.15-16
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Montague: Summer Concert Series returns with Hank Mowery
- My Town: Muskegon Heights Public Schools Academy now hiring
- My Town: Hundreds of classic cars invade Montague July 25