For lakeshore youth, MLK Day a day to volunteer | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - Monday was a day off school for some students in West Michigan, in commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. But just because students weren't in class didn't mean they weren't working.
20 members from Mount Zion Church's youth group spent the day volunteering on this day, in honor of the civil rights leader.
The volunteers from Mount Zion unloaded a food truck which was hauling over a thousand pounds of supplies. Volunteers say giving back to their community is how they remember Dr. King's message.
Other Martin Luther King Jr. Day events in Muskegon included a short march in the snowy weather, and a Keeping the Dream Alive rally.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Grand Haven: Fire Barn Gallery exhibit opening April 17
- Methodist church in Grand Haven invites public to Holy Week services
- Coast Guard officer accused of assault
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.
- My Town: Congressman Huizenga to speak at Legislative Lunch