For lakeshore youth, MLK Day a day to volunteer | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - Monday was a day off school for some students in West Michigan, in commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. But just because students weren't in class didn't mean they weren't working.
20 members from Mount Zion Church's youth group spent the day volunteering on this day, in honor of the civil rights leader.
The volunteers from Mount Zion unloaded a food truck which was hauling over a thousand pounds of supplies. Volunteers say giving back to their community is how they remember Dr. King's message.
Other Martin Luther King Jr. Day events in Muskegon included a short march in the snowy weather, and a Keeping the Dream Alive rally.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Benefits of Movement Therapy Explained at SLDL
- My Town: Lakeshore ATHENA Scholarship Program accepting applications
- Ottawa Co. Jail officer sentenced on sex charges
- My Town Grand Haven: GHHS student wins C-SPAN documentary award
- My Town Grand Haven: Self-defense training classes offered at United Methodist Church of the Dunes