January 2013 Weather Stats for Muskegon, Michigan | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -
The weather during the month of January was much warmer and wetter than usual with snowfall a little above average.
Temperatures during January averaged 28.9°F, 3.5°F above average but 2.3°F colder than last year (31.2°F). Twenty-one days were warmer than usual, nine were cooler, and one was considered average. The highest temperature occurred on January 29 with 59°F while the lowest temperature occurred on January 22 with 3°F.
Precipitation was well-above average last month measuring 5.48", 3.45", more than usual, making it the second wettest January on record after 1897 (7.72"), and 2.35" more than last year (3.13"). There were twenty days with measurable precipitation, three more than average (17).
Snowfall totaled 31.4" for January, 3.4" more than usual but 6.2" less than last year (37.6").
A thunderstorm was reported on January 29.
Daily temperature records: A high of 59°F on January 29 broke the previous record of 54°F set in 1914.
A high of 50°F on January 30 broke the previous record of 49°F set in 1988.
A record high minimum of 37°F on January 11 broke the previous record of 36°F set in 1928.
Daily precipitation records: 9.4" of snow on January 25 broke the previous record of 9.0" set in 1924.
0.84" of rain on January 11 broke the previous record of 0.63" set in 1991.
2.48" of rain on January 29 broke the previous record of 0.73" set in 2006, and may have set an all-time January daily record*.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- Sparta Town & Country Days underway
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list