Scholar Athlete: Christine Buchanan | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - WZZM and Meijer are pleased to recognize North Muskegon High School senior Christine Buchanan as our Meijer Scholar Athlete of the Week for the week of February 5th.
Christine plays basketball and is on the NMHS track team and is a standout student. She carries a 3.96 grade point average and is enrolled in advanced placement courses for biology and literature and takes an on-line course at Muskegon Community College. She has already been accepted to Ohio State and the University of Iowa and intends to study pre-med.
Christine has had her own medical concerns this year. "I've had a heart condition for about three years," she told WZZM this week. "It's a very fast heartbeat, over 250 beats a minute. We finally figured out what it was and I had an ablation done down in Grand Rapids and now it's all fixed. Now my goal is to help my team win districts and get a full recovery."
Christine also stays active outside school and sports. She's part of an organization called Interact Club. "We just developed a North Muskegon chapter and we're really excited about that. We're working closely with Mona Shores High School in order to raise money to get water filters for people in South America. We have a 5K that we're planning at the end of March to raise money. It makes me feel good helping out."
WZZM and Meijer salute Christine Buchanan for her hard work and wish her continued success!
To nominate a scholar-athlete click here.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Self-defense training classes offered at United Methodist Church of the Dunes
- My Town Grand Haven: Date set for Chilly Blues Music Festival
- Hands-on Help with Health Insurance Marketplace
- My Town Grand Haven: Harbor dredging awarded additional funding
- Tools for Dealing with Grief and Loss at SLDL
- My Town: MAISD board begins search to replace retiring superintendent
- College Scholarship Opportunities for Local Students
- My Town Montague: Birdhouse entries sought for gallery contest
- My Town: Baker College students heading to national competition
- My Town Whitehall: Safety and technology millage narrowly approved