Fire destroys historic farm home | News
EGELSTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) - A house on a Muskegon County farm owned by four generations of families is a total loss after a fire catching fire.
The blaze happened around noon Friday on East Evanston Avenue. An adult and three children were able to escape the fire without injuries. Police say a six-year old child ran barefoot to a neighbor's house to call 911.
Six fire departments responded but the home could not be saved.
"My dad built the house in 1935. I grew up there, I raised my three children there. Then we moved out and my daughter raised her three children there," Ora-Lee Kooi told WZZM 13's Jon Mills.
The family believes a washing machine may have overheated and started the fire. The family did not have homeowners insurance.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State grants to help Byron Twp., Sparta companies expand
- My Town: West Michigan Archery Center grand opening celebration Aug. 16
- One dead in motorcycle crash on 17 Mile Rd.
- My Town Sparta: ChoiceOne Bank celebrates second quarter growth
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'