Fire destroys historic farm home | News
EGELSTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) - A house on a Muskegon County farm owned by four generations of families is a total loss after a fire catching fire.
The blaze happened around noon Friday on East Evanston Avenue. An adult and three children were able to escape the fire without injuries. Police say a six-year old child ran barefoot to a neighbor's house to call 911.
Six fire departments responded but the home could not be saved.
"My dad built the house in 1935. I grew up there, I raised my three children there. Then we moved out and my daughter raised her three children there," Ora-Lee Kooi told WZZM 13's Jon Mills.
The family believes a washing machine may have overheated and started the fire. The family did not have homeowners insurance.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Sparta: Movies in The Park kicks off Aug. 1 with 'The Nut Job'
- My Town: Rogue River Expedition deemed a success
- My Town Sparta: Freehand Band takes the stage for free performance July 23
- My Town: Farmers who lost 2012 crop during freeze now eligible for funding
- Sparta Town & Country Days underway
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list