Fire destroys historic farm home | News
EGELSTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) - A house on a Muskegon County farm owned by four generations of families is a total loss after a fire catching fire.
The blaze happened around noon Friday on East Evanston Avenue. An adult and three children were able to escape the fire without injuries. Police say a six-year old child ran barefoot to a neighbor's house to call 911.
Six fire departments responded but the home could not be saved.
"My dad built the house in 1935. I grew up there, I raised my three children there. Then we moved out and my daughter raised her three children there," Ora-Lee Kooi told WZZM 13's Jon Mills.
The family believes a washing machine may have overheated and started the fire. The family did not have homeowners insurance.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: U.S. 31 construction work means traffic slowdowns
- Judge calls convicted murderer a "cold-blooded killer"
- My Town Grand Haven: Play confronts the violence of rape in society today
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Sparta: Downtown Development Authority Office upgrades approved
- My Town Sparta: Village to hire additional DPW employees
- My Town Sparta: Council backs altering village boundaries
- My Town Sparta: Homeowners begin cleaning up after storm
- My Town Sparta: Celebrate Earth Day by helping Howard Christensen Nature Center