Three escape Muskegon house fire | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - Muskegon's Fire Marshall is looking into what caused a house fire early Wednesday morning in the 1700 block of Pine Street.
Around 3 a.m., a Muskegon Public Safety Officer driving in the area spotted flames on the outside of the home. The officer woke two adults and a one-year old child by knocking at the door. All three got out of the home without injuries.
The fire appeared to have started on a mattress that was leaning against the rear of the home and near the back door. Muskegon Fire Marshall Major Metcalf says at this point in the investigation he does not know how the mattress fire started.
The home sustained significant damage. Wednesday afternoon the Muskegon Fire Department was called back to the home after a neighbor reported smoke and flames. Insulation in the attic likely rekindled after firefighters cleared the scene following the first fire call.
The three residents of the home are staying with relatives. The Red Cross is also assisting the family.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: Area state parks awarded life-saving beach kits
- My Town: Library summer reading clubs present kids’ wildlife programs July 22
- 2 Motorcyclists crash on Grand Haven Drawbridge
- My Town Grand Haven: School board candidate deadline nears
- My Town Grand Haven: Barbecue feast added to St. Patrick and St. Anthony Parish Festival Aug.15-16
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Montague: Summer Concert Series returns with Hank Mowery
- My Town: Muskegon Heights Public Schools Academy now hiring
- My Town: Hundreds of classic cars invade Montague July 25