Lunchroom fight results in injury, arrest | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) -- Several high school students at Muskegon High School are facing disciplinary action after a fight during lunch Tuesday.
Muskegon Police say that a fight broke out between two females during freshmen first lunch and the School Resource Operator tried to intervene. A male student then tried to interfere with the SRO. The SRO then radioed for police for assistance.
Several other fights broke out and at least nine other students were detained. One student is in the custody of Muskegon Police and investigators are checking into charges for others.
Muskegon Police did use pepper spray to break up the fighting and one student was taken to the hospital with a minor injury. No weapons were believed to be involved in the fight and no other injuries were reported.
Superintendent Jon Felske tells WZZM that a robocall from school did go out to parents informing them of the situation. A general announcement also went out in the school about the situation. Felske says, "We're in the process of looking at surveillance video to decide what was an assault and what was a fight. We'll be working with them, the police dept., to determine the level of prosecution and what levels of school discipline will take place."
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Grand Haven: 'Lessons from the Renovation and Restoration of a 1880s Home' May 17
- Holland-Grand Haven named healthiest in U.S.
- My Town Grand Haven: Fire Barn Gallery exhibit opening April 17
- Methodist church in Grand Haven invites public to Holy Week services
- Coast Guard officer accused of assault
- Government wants to seize $1 million in proceeds, 11 homes and lots connected to probe
- My Town Montague: Date set for White Lake Guitar Fest 2014
- Montague road closed due to wash out
- Double JJ Resort Looks to Hire 200+ Summer Staff at Upcoming Job Fair.
- My Town: Congressman Huizenga to speak at Legislative Lunch