Muskegon woman accused of hiring hitman | News
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WZZM) - A Muskegon woman is in custody, accused of trying to hire a hit man to kill her husband.
Julia Merfeld, 21, was arraigned Thursday on charges of Solicitation of Murder. If convicted, Merfeld could face life in prison.
Investigators say the person Merfeld believed was a hitman, was actually an undercover officer.
The case began with a tip. "Had the tip not been received into our office," said Muskegon County Sheriff Dean Roesler, "and this had gone forward as the defendant intended it, there would be a homicide we would be investigating."
Investigators say they believe the motive was money from an insurance policy.
Merfeld is being held on $500,000 bond.
Upcoming Events near Muskegon
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Date set for White Lake Area Fall Fest
- My Town: New exhibit at White River Gallery to include drawings and infrared photos
- My Town: Montague High School names new basketball coach
- My Town Whitehall: Community supports removing White Lake from toxic hot spots list
- My Town Whitehall: City takes first steps to remove White Lake from toxic hot spots list