MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WZZM) -- Demolition has begun on a Muskegon Heights home neighbors complained became a dumping site.
Latoya Jackson had contacted 13 On Your Side about the home on Sanford Street and questioned how the city chooses which blighted homes to demolish. A city official told us when homes were selected for demolition earlier this year, the house on Sanford was still privately owned.
It has since gone through foreclosure, clearing the way for work that began Thursday.
"Every other house is boarded up," said neighbor Dorothy Johnson. "This is another one down. I pray that there will be more. If landlords don't keep them up, then they should come down. They make the neighborhood look bad, so yes -- I'm happy."
A $1.8-million federal grant will help pay to remove nearly 100 blighted homes from Muskegon Heights and nearby communities this year.